Italian Sausage Potato Soup
- 1 lb mild or hot Italian sausage
- 2 or 3 large baking potatoes, cut as for mashing
- 1 large onion, peeled, cut in ½ & sliced
- 1 28 oz can Italian tomatoes w/basil, cut up tomatoes
- 2 cups water (maybe more)
- 1 tsp. dried Italian herbs
- 3 tsp. minced fresh basil ( dried is ok)
- ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Combine the first 6 ingredients in a large pot, bring to a boil; cover & simmer on low until potatoes are cooked. Sprinkle basil in each soup bowl (6); add soup, sprinkle with cheese. Sausage can be cut into chunks or squeezed out of skins. Sprinkle fresh basil in each soup bowl, add soup, add cheese on top to serve.
Optional: I cook and slice sausage separately, then add to soup pot. We like carrots – 1-2 peeled & sliced, add with potatoes. I use 2 15oz cans of diced tomatoes & juice. Amounts not precise is ok.